Monday, October 22, 2007

Our weekend



Hope everyone had a great weekend. We had a pretty good one. Jake's football team did great, but unfortunately lost the championship game. By 1 point!! But they had a great season and hopefully had fun.




We had a houseguest this weekend! Rosie the dog stayed with us for the weekend. She is from the Humane Society & wanted a little time away from being caged up. So she went with us around town this weekend looking for someone to adopt her! We have some great prospects, so hopefully one will work out for her. We had a great time visiting with her and she loved playing with Blue. She's a sweet girl and we wish her the best!



Here's a picture of Riley at the football game. He's such a ham. Everytime he sees me pull the camera out, he says "cheese!".



Hunter had a great soccer game. Not sure exactly what the score was, but they won!

Yesterday my boys gave new meaning to the "pearl snap shirt" fashion...





I missed the best photo opportunities yesterday because I didn't have my camera with me. We went to Wichita Falls after church and drove the truck. Riley sits in the middle, with his loving big brothers on either side. Riley likes to grab them both by their hair and slam their heads together. He does this quite a bit, so I'm sure I'll get another opportunity to catch it on film.

Riley was exhausted by the time we were headed back and was falling asleep. His brothers just couldn't stand it and were being so mean to the poor baby! They just kept messing with him. We stopped by the deer lease on the way home and as soon as we pulled in, Riley's eyes popped open and he was trying to get to the bed of the truck as fast as he could so he could ride back there with his brothers. We cooked out at the deer lease with our friends, the Sullivents, as the big cold front blew in! It was rather chilly, and Jake was kind of scared of what the weather was going to do.

I really wish that I had my camera at the deer lease. I can't even begin to recall all of the things that happened...but everything can pretty much be started off with "You might be a redneck...."

Hunter's favorite part was going out on the "deer lease truck". I don't think I can give this truck the credit it deserves by describing it with words. I can just say that you just have to see it. I promise I will take my camera next time. It is an old Nissan that has been pretty much stripped of everything on the inside except the gear shift and the pedals. That's not even the best part though...as Kelly said so eloquently last night (after I asked him if we could ride on it in the Christmas Parade)...it's not exactly "street legal". It has been modified to seat more people than it did originally. There have been seats from another vehicle welded on to the top of the bed...up way high so you can see everything! It's kind of scary at first. Kelly and Dallas were nice enough to let Melissa and I sit back there with all the kids! So in the back of the truck, we had Melissa & me, Taylor and Delaney--their daughters, Jake, Hunter, Riley and Sugar--their dog. And 300 lbs. of deer corn. That's pretty impressive for the little truck! I'm sure we weren't a rollover hazard AT ALL...

We found Uncle Casey's deer stand toppled over, so we had to get it up-righted. It sounds a lot easier than it was done. There was one particular mesquite tree that was wounded in the process. But the good news is that it now has a lovely deer stand a top it and it is lovely...it was personally spray painted by a teen-aged Kelly Lanham.

It was starting to get dark and very cold & windy...and the truck had been on empty for a couple of hours, but when I questioned Kelly about it, he said, "Oh, I don't even know if the fuel gauge even works..." Great!

So we make it back to camp...thank you, God!!...and we start up the fire. Oops, Dallas forgot to bring any utensils to cook with! No problem...in case you're ever in this situation, a nail pulling tool doubles great as a burger flipper, and pliers....why didn't I ever think of this....are perfect for turning bratwurst!!! I learned so much last night. :)

Anyway, it was a good weekend and we had fun. Thanks for reading about our life! Have a great week!

No comments: